The amount of support that has been shown to me throughout this project, but especially recently with the fundraiser and the show dates has been overwhelming – in a really good way. But often, it’s hard to accept that sort of generosity, it’s a lot of beautiful support coming at you and it doesn’t feel like words can say thank you properly. One of the things that have been helping me lately is the realization that it feels good to help. Whether it’s supporting with your time, finances, or a kind word – doesn’t matter – it gives you a positive hormonal boost and has the potential to help mental health!
Some of the great resources I discovered on Kindness:
- This article from Mental Health America offers the research and ways you can help others very succinctly.
- Random Acts Of Kindness: “The Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Foundation is a small nonprofit that invests our resources into making kindness the norm.” They are a bit cheesy sometimes, but their research and videos are really well backed and clear. I have been delighted by them this week. Here is their “Science of Kindness Video” Talking about how serotonin and oxycontin are produced in both you and the other person when you do something as simple as help a stranger or make your partner breakfast. This helps lower anxiety, inflammation, and depression.
- R.A.K PDF: This is a lovely document with all of the benefits that Kindness can bring. I highly recommend it.
- Time Article: If you are really on a Kindness curiosity kick you can check out this Time Article on how Being Generous Makes You Happy. The research from this article even indicates that those who are more generous when older tend to have better health and that “spending money on others can be as effective at lowering blood pressure as medication or exercise… Moreover, there is a positive association between helping others and life expectancy“. I highly recommend the whole article if you are curious about this.
- Sesame Street with Tori Kelly on Kindness: For the young and young at heart who love puppets!
So, whether it’s hard for you to accept the beautiful showering of love and support coming your way, or if you are considering volunteering or bringing a friend some cookies, remember that we are all a part of a beautiful circle of helping one another and it’s nature’s way of keeping us close, and loved, and happy. This week, where so many people have been generous to me, it’s a beautiful reminder to pay it forward and keep the circle going.
Update On My Show:
One Woman Hamlet has a fundraiser on Oct. 26th 2019!!!
Tickets are only 20 dollars, which will help support the message that It’s O.K Not To Be O.K., as well as assisting in the production of One Woman Hamlet. The project is independently funded by me – and the beautiful humans who have already donated! – and without your help, it certainly couldn’t be possible. Be there or be awesome elsewhere – but seriously, if you could be there that would be great!
What To Expect At The Fundraiser?
- Silent auction with an incredible selection of gifts, tickets, lessons, and more!
- Puppet photo booth (with some of the characters from the show)!
- Delicious coffee from Dark Matter
- Donuts from Smack Dab!
- Five minute group mindfulness activity led by yours truly!
- Live music from the amazing Treble On The L!
- And a small mental health resources goody bag!
I am still working on the breakdown of all the amazing local businesses who are contributing to the day, either in tangible goods or in silent auction items, but here is a list of our exciting silent auction items and who will be providing! These are truly some of my favorites businesses in the city, I only reached out to folks who inspire me and whom I frequent regularly as a human myself. If you have a moment to check out any of these incredible restaurants, people, yoga studios, climbing gyms, and etsy shops I can almost certainly guarantee some added light to your life!
- Yogaloft: Will be hosting us for the evening!
- Smack Dab is going to be providing some of their delicious donuts!!!
- Dark Matter will be providing their amazing coffee! Both to consume and to bid on!
- Aaron Davidson (the talented piano player from Treble On The L) will be donating a private holiday party experience and piano lessons!
- Hope For The Day (my show’s sponsor and mentor) will be providing an auction item and handouts for all those who attend!
- TimeLine theater will be donating two tickets to their upcoming season!
- Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours will be donating 8 spots on a Haunted Segway Tour! They can be bought together or separately!
- Dan Plehal will be donating an Acro Yoga private (for 1 or 2 folks) and access to one of his Acro Yoga Classes at First Ascent climbing gym!
- First Ascent Climbing Gym: will be donating a Learning To Boulder package! Which includes rental gear, and three day passes for two people – a $200 dollar value!
- StraubHandmade will be donating two beautiful pour over and mug sets and some of her gorgeous earrings from her Etsy Shop!
- And Kate Smith (yours truly) will be donating a trauma sensitive yoga private for 1-5 people!
Only two weeks until the fundraiser!!! Please buy your tickets so that we have enough fresh baked donuts from Smack Dab and hot coffee from Dark Matter to keep you cozy!
Ways to Support: If you would like to donate to my show, share this project with a friend, or find out more about it please check out my gofundme here: https://www.gofundme.com/one-woman-hamlet
Thank You: Thank you VERY much to all who have donated thus far, making this project possible.